The use cases of IOTA distributed ledger technology (DLT) is in full implementation in the newly released STM32Cube function pack software for developers that implement IOTA functions in IoT sensors nodes.
A news channel dedicated to STMicroelectronics, a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, shared this new development some hours ago on Twitter.
Going by the report, FP-SNS-IOTA1 is a STM32Cube function pack that lets users enable IOTA DLT functions on an IoT sensor node with cellular connectivity.
STMicroelectronics tweeted, “For developers implementing IOTA functions in IoT sensor nodes! ST has just released a new STM32Cube function pack software demonstrating IOTA dlt use cases, such as AssetTracking for supplychain.”
For developers implementing #IOTA functions in #IoT sensor nodes! ST has just released a new #STM32Cube function pack software demonstrating IOTA #dlt use cases, such as #AssetTracking for #supplychain. Learn more: https://t.co/cBHuC0n9tX #STM32ODE @iotatoken pic.twitter.com/X045gPtRJ9
— STMicroelectronics (@ST_World) July 23, 2020
Details of the Newly Released Software and Its Key Features
As aforementioned, the function pack implements and demonstrates IOTA DLT functionalities for the STM32 MCUs.
The IOTA DLT is a transaction settlement and data transfer layer for the Internet of Things (IoT), IOTA for money, and data transfer without transaction fees in a permissionless, trustless, and fully decentralized environment.
According to the report, the use cases featured acquire sensor data and send them to the IOTA Ledger also known as Tangle, through LTE cellular connectivity.
The following are the key features of the software as shared on STMicroelectronics’ official website
- Complete firmware to build IOTA DLT applications for STM32-based boards
- Middleware libraries featuring cellular management, transport-level security (MbedTLS) and IOTA cryptography management
- Ready-to-use binary to build IOTA transactions including sensor data and to send them to the Tangle via LTE connectivity
- Sample implementation available for 32L496GDISCOVERY Discovery board equipped with the P-L496G-CELL02 STMod+ cellular expansion board with antenna and the X-NUCLEO-IKS01A3 sensor expansion board
- Easy portability across different MCU families, thanks to STM32Cube
- Free, user-friendly license terms
The reputation of STMicroelectronics that is associating with IOTA to implement the use cases of its distributed ledger technology (DLT) is presently serving as a big boost in the IOTA community. It’s seen as a path to the mass adoption of IOTA.